Friday, December 02, 2005

Science develops on leaps of lazy frogs!

Don't say that! Don't tell me that you never thought of this, or that this never happened to you. Sometimes, progress does not come out of hard-work but a short period of over-concentration or even by chance!

Take my thesis work. I had done a certain calculation for a few parameters. Then, I slept on it for a long while. And one day, I just returned to my calculations and started doing several calculations and graphing them. With this kind of manual work, I could work on optimizing the set of parameters.

However, by some chance, I came across a nice Genetic Algorithm tool on the Internet. Having downloaded it, I played it late at night, and found an optimum set of parameters. In this paragraph, we see that there's chance, and there's focusing for a short period of time on one thing.

Surely, these sorts of things happened to all of you. But how about a duét?

Me and my friend had been talking for a very long time (like 6 months) on using an optimization package to optimize the parameters. And we had taken no steps (there are reasons for that). But, today, while I was telling him the late-night focus session of the Genetic Algorithm, we started working on the Optimization package. It took around 1 and a half hour to work it out.

As a conclusion, within 12 hours I have already applied two different methodologies using two calculation environments (MS Excel and Matlab, namely).

What's the result? Now, my thesis has new pages and results to be included.

Now I can sing the song:

I am a lazy frog
With one tiny song
leaping leaping leaping long
I am a lazy frooooooooooog.

2 Comments to this blog:

Blogger NoKas said...

it's the last minute panic! pressure and good ideas always come at the end of such things.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Gurkan said...

Good ideas do not necessarily come up at the end..

sometimes good ideas (all of a sudden) pop up and produce good progress.

1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home